Targu-Jiu is a rather small city in Romania, with under 100.000 inhabitants and it is mostly recognized for the monumental scultpure complex by the renowned sculptor Constantin Brâncuși, who was born close to Targu-Jiu, in a small village. The city has plenty of attractions and sights to keep tourists entertained for two or three days, although one could see everything in just one day. If you are planning to visit Targu-Jiu, consider doing it in the spring or summer, when it is most attractive.
The city of Targu-Jiu is located in south-western Romania, being the capital of the Gorj disctrict. The city is built on the banks of the Jiu river, close to Parang mountain range.
The city of Targu-Jiu can be reached by car, bus and train. The nearest airport is at Craiova, about 120 km away, while other airports are at Bucharest (300km), Timisoara (300km), Cluj (300km) and Sibiu (200km). By road, the city is easily accesible from almost anywhere, being located on the E79 european road. Tourists can also reach Targu-Jiu by train, with direct connections from Buchares, Timisoara and Cluj.
There are several things that should not be missed when traveling to Targu-Jiu, starting with the “Heroes Path” (Calea Eroilor) artistic ensemble, consisting of several monumental sculptures, considered masterpieces of modern sculpture. Also, there is a great number of other modern sculptures within the city, in most green areas, making Targu-Jiu one of the most culturally attractive city in this part of Romania. Tourists can also visit the city park, the old buildings in the city center, several churches, statues and so on.
- Heroes Path Monumental Complex - Represents the major masterpiece of Romanian sculptor Constantin Brancusi and one of the most important art monuments in Romania and even Europe. The complex consists of three monumental sculptures, set on an axis called the Heroes Path. It was dedicated by the artist to the heroes that sacrificed during the First World War. The complex consists of three main monuments: The Table of Silence, The Gate of the Kiss and The Endless Column. These three, set on an imaginary axis, have a much deeper meaning than the image that first strikes the eye.
- Old Buildings - There are a great number of old historic buildings with beautiful architecture in the city center or closeby. Just watch for the historical monuments symbol and you will find them easily. Most buildings are old houses of nobles and merchants who lived in the city 100-200 years ago.
- Churches - There are plenty of churches in the city of Targu Jiu, but truly, just about 4 or 5 of them are worth a visit, due to their age or architecture. In the central square there is the “Sfintii Voievozi” cathedral church, while on the Heroes Path axis, about midway between the Endless Column and the Gate of the Kiss, there is the “Sfintii Apostoli” church. Other interesting churches are the “Sfintii Imparati” and “Sfantul Nicolae”.
- City Park - Although pretty small, the city park is quite charming, with extremely old and tall trees, plenty of greens, as well as several attractions. Besides the monuments of Brancusi, that cut the park in half, there is also the Art Museum, a small tower and a charming promenade on the bank of Jiu river.
- City Museum - The city museum is located in a historical building close to the center and has an interesting collection of objects from all ages. The museum has been organised as succession of rooms with interactive presentations in a timeline from the oldest signs of civilization up until the present.
- Modern Sculptures - Throughout the city, in almost every small patch of green space, there are sculptures presented, as a reminder of the cultural essence of Targu-Jiu, the place where Constantin Brancusi chose to locate its monumental masterpieces. The sculptures are works of different artists that come here every year to sculpt and create.
There are several things you can do while visiting Targu Jiu, although the variety of choices is not as big as it could be. There is a modern cinema close to the town center with the latest premieres, as well as a prestigious theater that presents attractive shows periodically. On the other hand, if you feel the need for somethings more active, there are plenty of places where you can play football, basketball, tennis and more, as well as several pools where you can swim during the summer months.
If you need accommodation in Targu Jiu, there are plenty of places to choose from, from big hotels, to smaller villas and guesthouses that can serve most tourists. Although you cannot find luxury rooms, there are some 4 stars hotels and guesthouses. Below, you can find our best recommendations for hotels in Targu-Jiu.
There are a number of good restaurants for tourists in Targu-Jiu, but if you wish to discover the gastronomy of the area, you could try our recommendations: Hanul Domnesc, Casa Vera, Restaurant Ambasador, or just try the food at your hotel.